April 25, 2005

Sleeping and Waking by Chris Cunningham

"I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me." (Psalm 3:5)

At the time David writes these words, he is bearing the weight of a crushing burden. His own treacherous son, whom he loves deeply, is pursuing him with intent to murder him and usurp his throne. Even those who he considered to be allies, stood much to gain by betraying him and delivering him into the hands of his enemy. How could one, in such painful and precarious straits, have a moments peace? The key is in verse 3, But thou, O LORD, art a shield For me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head, and in our text, For the LORD sustained me.

We are naturally creatures of sense and, therefore, outward circumstances are the only reality we acknowledge. Believers, however, also have spiritual discernment so that what we know to be real is not limited to the outward (2 Kings 6:15-17). King David's slate of mind was not unaffected by these trials, but amidst them, he was able to rest in the knowledge of THE KING in whose hand he knew himself to be.
There is no peace of any kind until there is peace with God. Men and women suffer from depression and anxiety, which results in all manner of illness, because they are guilty sinners without God and without hope in this world. David's assurance came from knowing that his sins were forgiven in Christ, the Sacrifice and that this mighty God therefore loved him and cared for him (vs. 8). Knowing this, in the midst of all the evils of this world and my flesh, I can lay down at night and sleep. Also, I shall awake, either in my bed, or in His presence and likeness, for it is the Lord who sustains me.

"Hast thou not known? Hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding." (Isaiah 40:28)

By Chris Cunningham