April 26, 2005

The sheep and Their Shepherd by C.H. Spurgeon

“I will feed my flock, and I will cause them to lie down, saith the Lord God” (Eze 34:15)

Oh, what sweet music there is to us in the name which is given to our Lord Jesus Christ of the Good Shepherd.

There cannot be a flock without a shepherd; neither is there a shepherd truly without a flock. The two must go together. They are the fullness of each other. As the church is the fullness of him that filleth all in all, so we rejoice to remember that “of His fullness have all we received, and grace for grace.” That I am like a sheep is a sorry reflection; but that I have a shepherd charms away the sorrow and creates a new joy. It even becomes a gladsome thing to be weak, that I may rely on His strength; to be full of wants, that I may draw from His fullness; to be shallow and often at my wit’s end, that I may be always regulated by His wisdom. Even so doth my shame rebound to his praise. By Charles H. Spurgeon (exert from larger article; to see another exert read today’s Sovereign Grace Word for more of the perspective of the sheep and more of this article)read more...