March 15, 2005

The religion which I want by J.C. Philpot

I am quite sick of modern religion--it is such a mixture, such a medley, such a compromise. I find much, indeed, of this religion in my own heart, for it suits the flesh well--but I would not have it so, and grieve it should be so. The religion which I want is that of the Holy Spirit.

I know nothing but what He teaches me.

I feel nothing but what He works in me.

I believe nothing but what He shows me.

I only mourn when He smites my rocky heart.

I only rejoice when He reveals the Savior.

This religion I am seeking after, though miles and miles from it--but no other will satisfy or content me. When the blessed Spirit is not at work in me, and with me, I fall back into all the . . . darkness, unbelief, earthliness, idleness, carelessness, infidelity, and helplessness of my Adam nature.

True religion is a supernatural and mysterious thing.
By Joseph Philpot