August 04, 2004

Soft Pillows by Spurgeon

I am persuaded that the doctrine of predestination is one of the 'softest pillows' upon which the Christian can lay his head, and one of the 'strongest staffs' upon which he may lean, in his pilgrimage along this rough road. Cheer up, Christian! Things are not left to chance! No blind fate rules the world! God has purposes, and those purposes are fulfilled! God has plans, and those plans are wise, and never can be broken! Your trials always come to you at the right moment--The language of your faith should be, "Great God, I leave my times and seasons in your hand, for well I know if you smite me again and again, and again, it is that you may multiply blessings to me, that my manifold trials may produce in me manifold blessings."So be of good cheer, my hearer. He knows when your strength is spent, and you are ready to perish, then shall the Sun of Righteousness arrive with healing beneath his wings. Your deliverances from trouble shall always come to you intime enough; but they shall never come too soon, lest you be proud in your heart. Learn, believer, to be resigned to God's will. Learn to leave all things in his hand.Tis pleasant to float along the 'stream of providence'. There is no more blessed way of living, than the life of faith upon a covenant-keeping God--to know that we have no care, for he cares for us; that we need have no fear, except to fear him;that we need have no troubles, because we have cast our burdens upon the Lord, and are conscious that he will sustain us.