April 19, 2007

trials and comfort by Brian DuFour

Trials are meant to hurt, physically, emotionally, or spiritually. But there is a trial that I have found that may hurt even more, a trail of comfort. All aspects of my life seem to be in order, my family life, my job, my friends all seem at peace. I soon take comfort in these, and my efforts tend toward keeping my life in this comfort zone. Before you know it, my eyes are focused on things on this earth, and not things above. My time in scripture, my time in prayer, my time seeking fellowship with Christ have dwindled away. Things are good, I must be doing something right. I have grown in grace and faith enough that He has blessed me with good times. Watch out, for anything that takes a sinners eyes off of Christ is dangerous ground. I am not saying that earthly blessings are a bad thing. I am thankful for every good thing that comes from His hand. But to make your comfort and ease in these things, it is to lose your comfort in Christ. You are still nothing more than a sinner saved by the grace of God, no matter how smooth or rough your life is sailing.

Do not take comfort in comfort, take true comfort in Christ alone. His righteousness and shed blood are true comfort to the sinners soul. “Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith you God. Speak ye comfortable to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the Lords hand double for all her sins.” (Isaiah 40:1-2)

True comfort comes from seeing that Christ is my sanctification, Christ is my justification, Christ is my all. I rest in Him , and I rest on Him. His grace is so comfortable to a sinners soul

By Brian DuFour