"HOW CAN MAN BE JUSTIFIED WITH GOD" by Horatius Bonar
1. The JUSTIFIER--"It is God that justifies." The sentence of acquittal must come from HIS lips and be registered in His books.
2. The JUSTIFIED--man, the sinner, under wrath, the ungodly, the condemned.
3. The JUSTIFYING FACT--the death of Him whose name is Jehovah our Righteousness.
4. The JUSTIFYING INSTRUMENT--faith. Not strong faith, nor great faith,nor perfect faith, but simply faith, or believing. "We are justified by faith."
5. The JUSTIFYING MEDIUM--the righteousness of God. This is the "best robe" which is prepared for the prodigal. By it he is clothed, beautified, made fit to enter his Father's house and sit down at his Father's table. Christ is Himself our justification. In Him we "stand." In Him we are "found." Him we "put on." With Him we are clothed; by Him we are protected as by a shield; in Him we take refuge as in a strong tower.
"FOUND IN HIM!" What then? Our own "self" has disappeared; instead there is Christ, the beloved Son in whom God is well pleased. --From "Everlasting Righteousness" by Horatius Bonar