January 31, 2006

What is election by Eric Wilson

Whatever is done was foreordained and decided before time by the council of His own will (Eph 1:11). I had two concerns when addressing this subject. First we are told that great harm may come from declaring the truth of election, because it may offend someone who is searching. Second I thought I should defend my doctrine to questions I receive from those who don’t believe. As for the second, we should never consider it as defending that which is unconditional and by God’s revelation. We must understand that it is not our doctrine that they hate; it is the doctrine of God (John 7:7). In addition I fear when it becomes “I” or “My” we lose sight of Him. Let us then look only to the scriptures. For it is impossible to believe the scriptures to be the Word of God and not believe that salvation is of His own will. This may be my opinion but I believe there are more passages that deal with God’s sovereignty and election than any other theological topic I covered. This easily answers my first concern, for any one to believe that God was not the best judge of what or how much is to be known denies God’s providence. For “we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose” (Rom 8:28).

I must stress that this is not mine or simple a Calvinistic doctrine, but God’s (Eph 1:11). Election stands on God is absolutely sovereign. A conditional sovereignty is to say a limited sovereignty. You have not chosen Him but He has chosen you (Jhn 15:16). Election is eternal, taking place before time (Eph 1:4). An Election routed in the foreknowledge of a god assumes you have anything to contribute and gives man power of God’s decrees (Rom 9:11). Election is an unmerited gift of the giver (Rom 11:5). If you add or contribute anything it is not of grace and if not of His free offer and so then it is not election it is dept. “knowing brethren beloved your election of God “ (I Thes 1:4). Election is unto salvation (II Thes 2:13). Many have a false impression of a god standing at the door to heaven rejecting some and permitting others to enter. Dear reader we know that He does not turn away any who seek and knock. The problem is no one is banging down the door. It may be better if one visualizes everyone going to hell deservingly and willfully. And out of pure mercy, and with God’s sovereign electing grace, He pulls some away to the praise of His glory (Eph 1:6).

Oh I pray we make election a savory meat that feeds our soul. Election is a fact that brings Christians assurance and encouragement (Rom 8:33). Prize this truth and hold it firmly. Thank Him that you are a partaker. That the sovereign electing grace of God choose you a sinner while you were dead in sins to repentance, to faith, and afterwards to holiness of living, to Christian service, and a zeal for Him and devotion in His Word.