May 23, 2005

The Gift of Quiteness by Chris Cunningham

(Job 34:29) "When he giveth quietness, who then can make trouble?"

As the text implies, it is man's nature to make trouble. I observe that most not only take great pleasure in causing trouble for others, but seem to thrive upon it themselves. People seem discontent unless their lives are a constant turmoil of confusion and chaos. We are even entertained by it. The popular tabloid TV programs enthrall people with shows having titles such as "Children Who Want to Kill Their Parents" and "Sisters Who Steal Their Sisters' Husbands."

This, of course, is just an expression and illustration of our spiritual condition. Men and women are raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame (Jude 13). How accurately are we described in Isaiah 57:20, But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.
Not only is our wicked heart a busy hive of evil and unrest which manifests itself in society in many ways, but our real problem is that all of this enmity is really directed toward God. If I kill my parents or steal my brother's wife, or have pleasure in them that do such things (Rom; 1:32), I'm not sinning against them, but GOD (Ps. 51:4). My real trouble is with HIM.

This being the case, then I see that my great primary need is peace with God. It is in the very face of God Himself, my Creator, that I am casting up my mire and dirt and foaming out my shame; and I shall have eternal damnation for it. I must somehow be at peace with GOD, and yet how can this be, seeing that The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity (Ps. 5:5).

The Lord Jesus Christ has made peace with God the Father, for His people, through the precious, priceless blood of His cross (Col. 1:20). Only He has the power to speak to the troubled sea, Peace, be still, and make it calm as glass. Only He can break the wild ass's colt (Job 11:12) and make him lie down like a lamb. He is the unspeakable Gift of quietness. Who then can make trouble (Rom. 8:34)? by Chris Cunningham