February 28, 2005

Home Sweet Home by Chris Cunningham

"We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord." 2 Cor. 5:8

The Greek word for "present" in our text literally means "to be at home." There is something in our nature that ties us body and soul to a place called home. The very word conjures up thoughts and feelings of comfort, security and love. A person who is homeless must be the most miserable of all creatures.

In religion, men speak of their "home" in heaven, and they get all misty eyed as they contemplate some austere mansion nestled luxuriously on some golden street. The true child of God has much higher standards. The home for which we long is no place, but a glorious Person, the Lord Jesus Christ, I say we long for Him, yet there is a very real and wonderful sense in which we dwell already in Him today and enjoy all the blessings of Home. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. John 6:56

Home is a place of great comfort. Being at "peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Romans 5: 1) we find our Savior's arms a place-of quiet, sweet repose.

Home is a place of security. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of MY life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

Home is a place of love... and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

When we say that we long for home, we are not interested in golden streets or gates of pearl, but our sights are set on Him who is Himself as the song says:

O God our help in ages past,
Our hope for years to come.
Be Thou my guide while life, shall last,
And my eternal Home.

Thank God for Him who had not where to lay His head so that I might lay mine forever on His precious breast.

by Chris Cunnignham