August 20, 2004

The lukewarm Christian by Todd Nibert

Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Christ says concerning the lukewarm Christian, "I will spew thee out of My mouth." Who is the lukewarm Christian? He is not the "hot" believer. On fire with a zeal for Christ's glory. He is not the "cold" Christian. The cold Christian is the one who feels cold in the things of God, and is miserable because of that. Both hot and cold are states of discomfort. Christ says to the lukewarm Christian, "Thou art neither cold nor hot. I would that thou were cold or hot." The lukewarm Christian is the one who takes the temperature of his surroundings. Lukewarmness is the way of least resistance. Moderate. Balanced. Middle of the road. Avoiding extremes. Fence straddling. It is the easy way. The comfortable way.....not to hot, not too cold. Christ says to the lukewarm Christian, "Because thou art lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spew thee out of my mouth."Christ, His Gospel, the Doctrines of grace, the Word of God, if true are of infinite importance. If false, they are of no importance. But one thing they cannot be is moderately important. The lukewarm Christian is the moderate Christian. The middle of the road Christian. The head on collision occurs in "the middle of the road".