July 07, 2004

He is my shepherd by E. Wilson

“ But He that entereth by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To Him the porter openeth and the sheep hear His voice, and He calleth His own sheep by name and leadeth them out.” John 10:2-3

In Palestine during biblical times in each village was a sheepfold. This was a common property of all the farmers. It was protected by high walls with only one door. Every night shepherds, to protect their sheep from beast and robbers, would lead their flock into the sheepfold and leave them in the care of the porter. The porter would remain at the door all night until morning. In the morning the porter would allow each shepherd to come to the door and call out for his sheep; many times by their name. Their sheep recognizing the voice of their master would beckon to his voice and follow him and the shepherd would lead them out.

God says in John 10:7 “…verily, verily I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.” Man can only be saved by God. Salvation may only be obtained through God. God is the door of the sheepfold, the only way man can find the green pastures of peace and freedom is through the door of Christ. Rev 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock, if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him…” Who can hear His voice, who opens the door? Is this dependant on our choice or action, or His electing grace. God says in John 10:14 “I am the good shepherd and know my sheep and am known of mine.” God not only is the door but the shepherd. His son knows His sheep and He calls them by name and they know Him. The shepherd does not stand at the door of the sheepfold and call to all sheep and whom ever comes to him is his. God knows His sheep by name and calls them alone out of the flesh to follow Him. 2Tim 2:19 “Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, the Lord knoweth them that are His…” When the door of God is open and Jesus calls for His sheep, His sheep and His sheep alone beckon to His voice and will come to Him. Would His sheep chose not to come? God forbid, His sheep know the voice of their master and love Him and desire to be in His fold. It’s not that you have no other choice, it is when God gives you ears to hear and you hear the voice of His Spirit you have no other desire but to follow Him. John 10:27 “My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow Me.” So why when the door of God opens and Jesus effectually calls to His sheep do so many stay in the walls of the sheepfold rather than follow Him. John 10:26 clearly states “But ye believe not, because ye are not my sheep…” Why did they not come, because they could not, nor ever recognize His voice. John 8:43 “Why do ye not understand my speech? Because ye cannot hear my word.” It’s not that they have no other choice but to stay, it is they know not His voice and have no desire to come because they are not His sheep. You cannot chose to become one of His sheep. You are one of His sheep because He is your shepherd and His voice effectually calls you out by name. Will you harken to that voice, will you repent, confess, and believe? Of course, not as a condition but as a result. Not because you became a sheep but because you were one of His sheep. If you do not believe you were never one of His, and you will never hear His voice. John 8:47 “He that is of God heareth Gods words; ye therefore, hear them not, because ye are not of God.”

Psalm 23:“The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”